Earlier this year we set up a Facebook page to help spread the word about our documentary, and it turns out that many Vietnam Veterans have been sharing their memories of the Donut Dollies and thanking them for their service. In less than six months, we received nearly 4,000 likes and hundreds of great comments. Below are just a few.
Please feel free to post and share memories, photos and other memorabilia here on DonutDollies.com, too!
- “It was a real treat to get a donut and a cup of coffee from an American Girl (R-E). They were angels in the middle of hell doing a kind deed for us, they were exceptional ladies.”
- “Thank you all for your selflessness–you made a huge difference for us all.”
- “Oh man, we’d be in the camp and the loudspeaker from the orderly room (think: MASH) would announce “attention in the compound (repeat) the Donut Dollies are here. Unless, what you were doing was essential, you stopped everything and ran to the mess hall, to see The Donut Dollies.”
- “I remember the Donut Dollies with the GREATEST Love and Admiration as I experienced their love both in the field and in my Hospital. THANK U ALL 4 what U did. It is greatly appreciated.”
- “You were all angels … going places that those in the rear wouldn’t dare… Thanks for the smiles, games and friendship… I’ll always hold you in the highest esteem.”
- “I am so happy to see this Donut Dollies project being put together so their story will not disappear in our history. Now I wish I could have been there with them for they are my Heroes !! God Bless Them and Your work to preserve their courage and love to share their lives for our Vietnam Troops.”
- “God blessed you lovely young gals with Grace and strength! Thank you!”
- “Those ladies offered us a little sanity in an insane time and place!”
- “I always felt great when they came around to see us, they always spent time with us grunt enlisted men, they had alot of nerve to show up in some of the places they went…”
- “These Donut Dollies would boost the moral every where they went! I always thought they came to visit just to make us smile so much!! God Bless them!!!”